List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Future of libksane
From:       Kåre_Särs <kare.sars () mailbox ! org>
Date:       2022-01-03 20:14:56

For almost a decade I have been thinking about splitting the UI and \
business-logic in  libksane, to make it possible to use without the \
QWidget. I started twice but never  gathered enough inspiration to get it \
done all the way. Luckily, about a year ago Alexander  Stippich stepped up \
to work on Skanpage and has now also almost finished the split I was  \
thinking of. He has taken over Skanpage (the multi-page paper-document \
scanning  application) and has done a great job with improvements to \
Skanpage, Skanlite and  libksane.

Our almost done plan:
The core parts of libksane are split out into a non-UI library called \
KSaneCore (this is  already done but all still in the libksane repository). \
The current QWidget API would remain  in the libksane repository, but the \
new dependency KSaneCore would move to a separate  repository.

With the move to Qt6 and KF6, libksane would be renamed to KSaneWidget to \
better  reflect what it provides.

Now to our questions/problems:

There was some problem with pushing the whole history of libksane to the \
KSaneCore  repository at one point, because of some author email issues in \
some old commit and now  that we asked for KDE Gear inclusion, force \
pushing no-longer works. I guess this is just a  mater of filing a sysadmin \
ticket to get the whole libksane history force-pushed to the  KSaneCore \
repository (nobody is using the repository yet).

These two libraries are KDE-internally used by at least Skanlite, Skanpage \
(only  KSaneCore) and DigiKam. There are also a couple of unofficial KDE \
projects that use  libksane. KDE-external usage I do not know about, but I \
suspect there might be ;)
At the time of porting to KF5, I did not pursue Frameworks integration, \
because I wanted  this split to be done first. Now that the split is \
(almost) done I'm wondering if it would be a  good time/idea to turn them \
into KDE Frameworks libraries?

Best regards,
  Kåre