List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: More Plasma bug fix releases
From:       Martin_Gräßlin <mgraesslin () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-10-28 13:49:34

Am 2015-10-28 13:34, schrieb Maximiliano Curia:
> On 27/10/15 13:51, Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> I was thinking about the problem of how we can get bug fixes quicker
>> to our
>> user. With a three month release cycle a one-month bug fix cycle
>> sounds too
>> long to me.
>
> Fair enough.
>
>> So I thought we should make bug fix releases faster and more often. In
>> 5.4 we
>> already went for this partially by having the first bug fix earlier. I
>> wanted
>> to know how much work this would mean for our distributions. If we
>> ship out
>> way more bug fix releases, would you be able to work with it? Would it
>> block
>> you? Would you have to skip releases? Or is it just pressing a button
>> to run
>> automatic scripts which upload your packages?
>
> We can keep up with bug fixes, in most cases the bugs will affect our
> users
> anyway and having the bug fixes released would reduce the time spent
> dealing
> with bugs, but it would be a waste of time and resources to package
> things
> that only contain a version bump.

understood. Maybe we can do some scripting to only create tarballs if
there were changes. Jonathan?

> So my suggestion would be to publish a 5.5 version and use the dot
> releases to
> publish bug fixes without a fixed schedule.

Sorry I don't understand what you mean with that. Do you want a new bug
fix release for each commit to stable branch? That certainly wouldn't
scale.

> The next discussion would be what should be considered a bug fix to
> trigger a
> release, as much as I like to have l10n support, the automatic: l10n
> daemon
> script commit hardly qualify.

While l10n might not seem to be that important to you, it might be the
difference between an unusable system and a useable system. So let's not
start downplaying the importance of translations ;-)

>> What had I been thinking about? I was thinking about a Fibonacci based
>> release
>> schedule. This gives us quick bug fix releases directly after the
>> release with
>> slowly larger intervals. Of course it would mean tag and release
>> happens on
>> same day.
>
> Agreed on the release and tag on the same day. Can it be enforced that
> all the
> tests need to pass to consider the part for the release

Please start a dedicated discussion for this point.

> Also, if possible, could you use signed tags for the releases? (on the
> Debian
> side of things we are considering using the upstream signed git tags as
> replacement of tarballs and signatures/sums)

Please also start a dedicated discussion for this point.

Cheers
Martin