List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Re: Fwd: KDE Frameworks Release Cycle
From:       Scott Kitterman <kde () kitterman ! com>
Date:       2014-04-30 11:50:02

On April 30, 2014 6:26:14 AM EDT, "Àlex Fiestas" <afiestas@kde.org> wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 April 2014 12:04:15 Raymond Wooninck wrote:
> > On Wednesday 30 April 2014 11:28:26 Àlex Fiestas wrote:
> > > Having a release every month will allow distributions to package
> fresher
> > > versions of frameworks since we will virtually remove the
> synchronization
> > > problem.
> > > As an example, Opensuse released 13.1 with KDE 4.8.5 iirc, which
> already
> > > had no support from upstream. You had to do that because our 6
> months
> > > release schedule did not synchronize with yours. Having releases
> every
> > > month fixes the problem.
> >
> > Sorry to say, but this is bullshit.  13.1 is the current openSUSE
> distro and
> > was shipped with KDE 4.11.2.  We provided maintenance updates based
> on
> > 4.11.3, 4.11.4 and 4.11.5.  At this moment we are even shipping the
> > kde-workspace releases as maintenance updates.
> I said "iirc" which stands for "if I remember correctly" which
> apparently I
> did not. Sorryf or that.
>
> Here you have the link to the release that released with an almost "out
> of
> support" version:
> https://en.opensuse.org/Archive:Features_12.2#KDE_Plasma_Workspaces
>
> As you can see, the link shows the features of OpenSuse 12.2 featuring
> 4.8.4,
> our last 4.8.X release was 4.8.5.
> > Yes, a distribution release cycle might not match with the KDE
> upstream
> > release cycle, but that NEVER put us in the position to ship an older
> > unsupported release.  For every distribution release the openSUSE KDE
> > Community team validates both release cycles and then we set a target
> > version for KDE.  e.g. for the upcoming openSUSE 13.2, the target is
> > ship it with KDE 4.14 as that this is the latest official release of
> KDE at
> > the moment of the openSUSE release.  Whether this will be 4.14.0,
> 4.14.1,
> > ...  doesn't make that much difference. After the openSUSE 13.2
> release we
> > will provide maintenance updates based on the 4.14.x releases.
> So, you will not simply update to 4.14.X but instead do cherry-picking
> of the
> bug fixes? Because that would be the same with Frameworks.
>
> > The issue is that non-rolling distributions sets a stabilisation
> period
> > before the official release. This means that the version that will be
> > shipped needs to be in about 2 months before the official release.
> From
> > that point forward only bugfixes are allowed. In the past this was
> achieved
> > for KDE by making sure that at least the Beta version or preferably
> the RC
> [...]

A certain amount of it isn't new.  What's new is upstream abandoning each release as \
soon as it's out the door.

We push all the maintenance updates too.  After a certain point we are on our own, \
but with KDE SC there has been a good level of support for from upstream to get \
things in good shape. Now it's all going to be on us.

Scott K