El Dissabte, 1 de mar=E7 de 2014, a les 11:05:07, David Faure va escriure: > Hi, > = > I have a question about the release process. > = > It seems to me that we currently have to completely freeze the branch that > is about to be released, for the few days between making the first set of > tarballs and the day of the official release, so that we can update > tarballs with any critical fix meanwhile ("respin") without grabbing other > unrelated changes that people might have been committing meanwhile. > Right? We simply get the other changes that may have been commited, since well, wh= y = would you not want other bugfixes? :-) I understand this may be a bit different for the current frameworks scenari= o = where you're still doing SIC/BIC changes but for the rest of the branches, = well, if we have to retag and due to that we get a few more bugfixes, i thi= nk = that's a win :-) > It seems to me that this kind of kills productivity during that week, and > creates the risk that someone forgot that this was the week where they're > not supposed to push commits, etc. Also note that for Betas of the SC we've killed that week (haven't checked = what you guys are doing in KF), packages are released as soon as they've be= en = tarballed and compiled by one person (which nowadays is me). For the x.y.z releases we mostly have a week to give time to distros to = compile their packages, since with both me compiling them and jenkins doing = it, it's hard that they won't compile. Of course it may happen that some hu= ge = regression is found in that week but from what i remember lately that hasn'= t = happened much. > Shouldn't we use a "release" branch to fix this? > E.g. when releasing 4.13.1, first have the release scripts make a > KDE/4.13.1-release branch in all affected repos, then make tarballs from > that, then give a week for packaging, and cherry-pick any urgent bugfixes > into that branch, to make new tarballs from there. > This prevents accidental commits during that time -- and in fact we could > even go further and use ACLs so only the "release team" can push to the > release branch. > = > I suppose this has been discussed before - in that case I apologize for > missing that or forgetting it :) > = > But if there's an agreement I volunteer to adjust the release-tools scrip= ts > accordingly. I see were you're going and it seems more "professional and rational" to do = what you suggest, but as I said i don't think getting a few more bugfixes i= s a = bad thing if we have to respin a package, so i think it's better that you = invest your time in something else other than doing bash coding :-) Cheers, Albert _______________________________________________ release-team mailing list release-team@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/release-team