List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Why are 4.8.80 packages already out in the wild?
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-06-04 16:34:40

Am Montag, 4. Juni 2012, 18:01:29 schrieb Martin Gr=E4=DFlin:
> On Monday 04 June 2012 15:18:11 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > On Monday 04 June 2012, Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > > That means that people report bugs against different incarnations of =
the
> > > same packages, which makes bugs hard to find -- it doesn't work as we
> > > can't verify the exact state of the code a bug is filed against.
> > =

> > That almost never makes a difference in practice, and when it does, the
> > developers are (or should be) aware of the respin and ask to make sure.
> > (If
> > the reporter is the packager, he/she'll definitely know whether the
> > package
> > already uses a respun tarball, if not, he/she can provide the exact
> > version
> > of the distro package and the distro packager can tell you what tarball
> > was
> > used. And in any case, we always issue a new build with the respun tarb=
all
> > as soon as possible.)
> =

> I must admit that I find your answer strange. Given that the whole thread
> had been started by a developer because he sees a problem in exactly that
> thing, it's quite strange that I get told that there is no problem at all.
> =

> Please note that working as a developer is quite different to working as a
> distro packager. Yes your distro packages have very precise versions, yes
> our versions, too - once they are released. And that's the difference to
> the distro packages, before the release it is not known what the version
> is. (Btw. shipping patches upstream does not know about is as bad - even =
in
> development versions nobody should use).
> =

> Now what appears to be no problem is a problem. It is causing work for
> developers when the version information is wrong. It is causing work if we
> have to ask again for the version information. Furthermore it is not said
> that a developer knows about a respin tarball. Please note that unlike yo=
u,
> I as a developer have no access to the tarball before release and the
> developers don't get a mail in their inbox telling them that the tarball
> has been recreated. Developers have to actively monitor the release team
> mailinglist and I'm quite sure that not everybody is subsribed to this
> list.
> =

> The whole thing becomes even more complex if we consider the perfect case=
 of
> bug triaging. How should a triager know that the developers fixed a bug
> which caused a respin of the package?
> =

> I hope you understand that what you describe as a non-issue, is issue eno=
ugh
> [...]

For me the issue as you described it seems to be that it is not so easy to =
map =

the version of the binary/package back to the version of the sources, ideal=
ly =

even a git/svn commit id (and the ids of any patches downstream has applied=
).

This issue is even a bigger problem if your fellow developers compile your =

code from scratch and then file a bug by version "Compiled from sources". =

Should happen much more often, no? :)

Could this issue not be solved by somehow getting the real source code vers=
ion =

id(s) into the binary/package info?

Cheers
Friedrich