List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Why are 4.8.80 packages already out in the wild?
From:       Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler () chello ! at>
Date:       2012-06-04 13:18:11

On Monday 04 June 2012, Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> That means that people report bugs against different incarnations of the
> same packages, which makes bugs hard to find -- it doesn't work as we
> can't verify the exact state of the code a bug is filed against.

That almost never makes a difference in practice, and when it does, the =

developers are (or should be) aware of the respin and ask to make sure. (If =

the reporter is the packager, he/she'll definitely know whether the package =

already uses a respun tarball, if not, he/she can provide the exact version=
 of =

the distro package and the distro packager can tell you what tarball was us=
ed. =

And in any case, we always issue a new build with the respun tarball as soo=
n =

as possible.)

It would definitely be better than the current situation where bugs end up =
filed =

against at best "unspecified" or at worst a wrong version number.

For reference, in Fedora, we create the version in Bugzilla when we branch =
a =

new release (which is shortly before the Alpha release), not when we releas=
e =

it. Users were able to file bugs against "Fedora 17" starting from a few da=
ys =

before Fedora 17 Alpha. We also don't distinguish between Alpha, Beta, Fina=
l =

or Final + n months of updates in the Version field. We still manage to do =
our =

work.

> We've handled package level problems via email in direct contact with
> packagers who encountered the issues, and that worked fine so far. I
> suggest we stick to it.

That works great for things that warrant a respin, but for normal bugs, why =

should I not be able to use the normal bug tracker without setting the vers=
ion =

to something vague like "unspecified"?

        Kevin Kofler