List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Requesting freeze exception for JtG
From:       Sebastian =?iso-8859-1?q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-11-27 14:03:30

On Sunday, November 27, 2011 01:03:34 Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 12:38 AM, Thomas Zander <zander@kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 26 November 2011 14.09.21 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> >> A little flexibility, a little actual testing of the patch
> >> would be much more useful than stubbornly maintaining that
> >> rules are rules.
> > =

> > For those that missed it; the actual testing has been done and reported
> > on kde-core-devel. (it has the same topic as this thread)
> =

> This is my last mail on this.
> =

> No, no testing has been shown and I'd say no testing has even been
> performed. Sebas even admitted to that in another mailing list.

Yes, I've not applied, compiled or run the patch. I can do it if it _really=
_ =

makes you feel better, though I prefer spending my time otherwise. In fact,=
 I =

fully trust you that the patch applies and builds fine, and that my testing=
 is =

no better than yours. =

That's not my issue however. Judging from reading it, your explanation and =
the =

screenshots, I think it's too intrusive (not really technically risky, but =

intrusive UI-wise -- we're adding a menu option to *all* KDE applications, =

more or less, and I think it goes in the wrong place for the wrong reaons).

Putting the dialog into the About dialog solves this for me and makes the =

patch acceptable because then it's just an update of the support KDE pointe=
rs, =

not an entirely new piece of UI, which clutters the menu without clear valu=
e =

for the user.

> > The flexibility has been shown by various people; to quote sebas as one
> > example;
> >  =ABI personally don't mind a non-intrusive patch (one that just changes
> > the text in there, for example), if the translation and docs team is OK
> > with that. This does not constitute a new feature to me.=BB
> =

> That is not flexibility. The result would be useless, so no, that
> "solution" is unacceptable to me. I am not going to make a commit that
> modifies a hidden text. Feel free to do it yourself, I already got the
> freeze exception from kde-i18n-doc.

I think it would be far from useless. If that solution is unacceptable to y=
ou, =

we end up with no change at all, and I really wonder how that is better for =

you than at least the JtG pointers in the About dialog. I fear that this al=
l-
or-nothing attitude doesn't reall help anybody, doesn't relax the situation=
, =

or is helpful at all to the purpose of your patch (promote the join the gam=
e =

campaign).

Cheers,
-- =