List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: No more release schedules.
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-09 22:08:56

----- Original Message -----
> My main concern with disparate releases would be that it would be
> impossible
> to test all the possible combinations properly. Every distribution
> would end
> up with its own combination of versions, with the potential for
> incompatibilities nobody else can reproduce.

A whole distro is about making software work together. But see further down...

> Having KDE's own packages also released in an uncoordinated
> fashion

Wow. Who suggested that? That would make a mess indeed. I certainly did not ever \
suggest that. If you think so, pleas reread all my mails. I've suggested that every \
module maintainer sets his own release schedule. It's not uncoordinated at all. It's \
just that the freeze for kdelibs can happen on a different time and that the version \
number at the end can be whatever they like.

> Another issue is that it would really swamp most distribution's KDE
> software
> packaging teams to have to package a new release of package XYZ every
> day.

That's not what I suggested. I hope people can now stop twisting my words and reading \
things that are not there.

> Then let the module maintainer decide what is
> stable for a
> point release and what not, but not proclaim a major release at a
> random point
> in time. But that's just another suggestion thrown into the mix.)

Isn't that what I suggest?

Best,
--
Tom Albers