List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: No more release schedules.
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-06-09 18:07:33

----- Original Message -----
> Weren't you the one proposing that subprojects should adopt their own
> git
> workflows? I'm quite puzzled about how problematic this would be.

Since KDE is the community, how can we do a KDE 4.8? And then Platform will call \
itself 5 if I understood correctly. So how do we call a new release schedule then?

Then there will be a new workflow for kdelibs, with new policies about what to \
release from which branch. I just don't think one release schedule will fit all \
modules.

Just like kdepim could not follow the release schedule the last releases, kdebindings \
have troubles following it now and then, kdevelop followed it now and then and \
koffice wants to follow it again, I think it's time for more 'freedom' in this \
area...

> Are you serious that you want to decouple the release of our
> frameworks from
> each other? THat would create a huge mess, extreme amounts of
> overhead, be
> very destructive to our community... This puzzles me as I know how
> much you
> love KDE.

What does my love for KDE have to do with it? I think it's good for KDE to let each \
module set their freezes on their own, depending on which work flow they will adapt. \
If we decide it early the module maintainers have time enough to get used to creating \
the schedule.

I assume Platforms will need several alpha releases to test their work and have \
different milestones, not being bound to a central schedule will be helpful there.

We can set a preferred release day twice a year, which every module can work to if \
they like.

> Coordinate? We *create* releases and manage them.

We can still package and release them if you like, that's independent of the \
schedules.

Best,

Toma
--