List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.7 Beta1 (4.6.80) tarballs uploaded (try#1)
From:       "Wulf C. Krueger" <philantrop () exherbo ! org>
Date:       2011-05-21 21:29:10

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

> The turn of events with KDE 4.7.x is most unfortunate. I noticed an
> explosion of source tarballs.

I strongly disagree. Splitting KDE SC up more is a step in the right direction
as it allows for easier control about what to install.

> I am afraid that for Slackware, the bloat in KDE packages is not
> acceptible from a maintenance point of view.

Again, I disagree. Yes, it's a bit more work but it reduces the "bloat" for
users in the end. Most people don't need everything KDE SC has to offer and,
thus, it's well worth some effort.

> If there are no ways around this, then we are seriously considering
> the removal of KDE from the Slackware distribution and turning support
> over to willing third parties. This will go the way of GNOME which was
> abandoned by Slackware for the same reasons - we refuse to participate
> in a maintenance hell.

I suppose you've gotten rid of X.org, too? :-)

Best regards, Wulf