List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Add some apps to the 4.7 release?
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-05-15 19:45:02

Hi,

----- Original Message -----
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Saturday, May 14, 2011 21:28:40 Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I've been stabilizing and making ready for release some apps (in
> > git) and I
> > would like to get them released in the 4.7 release compilation.
>
> For 4.7, the hard feature freeze has already passed, it's too late to
> add apps
> at this point. You've also completely ignored existing review
> processes, as
> laid out on techbase. From a pure process POV, that's a bunch of
> show-
> stoppers.

I think it is important to know which scenario Thomas wants:

1.
Make KOffice part of the main modules. That's indeed past the freeze date, lacks \
review and lacks maintainers for all apps, so that's a no-go.

2.
Keep KOffice as it is and release together with the other parts of the SC. That's \
fine for me. KOffice is part of the KDE infrastructure and therefore allowed to join \
the SC release. More below, as I assumed Thomas applied for this scenario.

> I don't have a problem with you releasing KOffice separately, but at
> the same
> time as the SC releases, but I don't think we should make it part of
> the KDE
> SC.

We have released extragear application at the same time as the main modules. We even \
released completely unmaintained applications at the same time as the main modules. I \
don't see any reason why we would deny this to the KOffice team.

Just as Amarok is welcome to release at the same day as the SC, KOffice is too. And \
they both can have their lines in the announcement. Just because I don't like Amarok, \
does not entitle me to block it. If we don't want KOffice in the SC, it's time to say \
that it should leave the KDE infrastructure.

Again, I'm not talking about scenario 1. Which I would oppose as well.

Best,
--
Tom Albers