List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: OpenAL and SndFile as hard dependency for Granatier
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-05-13 1:53:32

On Friday 13 May 2011 8:20:53 am Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> On Thursday, May 12, 2011 00:39:37 Mathias Kraus wrote:
> > as some of you might know that Phonon is not really good for games
> > because of the high latency and some other issues.
> > Granatier used therefore for some time OpenAL and SndFile ...

Sorry, I should have given you the info on SndFile, as well as OpenAL.
OpenAL just plays buffer full of sound samples from RAM.  SndFile
is needed to read sound-files, decode them and load them into buffers.
It is a C library and is supported on Windows, with an installer, and on
Linux/Unix, including (it is asserted) Mac OS X.  See:
http://www.mega-nerd.com/libsndfile/

Just to make sure this software can decode our sound files on any
platform, distro or version of SndFile, we are building and installing
Granatier and KGoldrunner only with *.wav files.  Very vanilla!

All the best, Ian W.