List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: KDE 4.4 RC1 (4.3.90) tarballs uploaded
From:       Simon Edwards <simon () simonzone ! com>
Date:       2010-01-20 19:17:08

Hello,

Dirk Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday 07 January 2010, Simon Edwards wrote:
>
>>> [python/pykde4/CMakeFiles/python_module_PyKDE4_plasma.dir/all] Error 2
>>> make: *** [all] Error 2
>> It should work fine with a recent SIP and PyQt snapshot.
>>
>> A new stable release of PyQt is imminent, then can I up the version
>> check in CMakeLists.txt. Sorry for the inconvenience guys.
>
> Is it possible to make the bindings only use released versions of sip/pyqt?

A new SIP and PyQt stable are out and PyKDE now requires it and checks
for it in CMakeLists. Although annoying, not using SIP/PyQt snapshots
during the 4.4 dev cycle would have required dropping most of the new
changes to Plasma which depend on new functionality in Qt 4.6. This is
really one of the risks of KDE requiring a bleeding edge Qt
functionality (4.6) which wasn't released until quite late in the KDE
dev cycle. Other things like PyQt depend on Qt and don't get much time
to react and be updated once a new Qt version is out.

> with RC2, there is a new problem:
>
> /usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_progress_report kdebindings-1077263/build/CMakeFiles

> What is the solution here?

You'll have to ask Richard Dale since this error is in smoke and not PyKDE.

A strict ban on header file changes during the RC phase would be a good
way to help reduce these kinds of last minute problems. Even in these
late stages the plasma team are still stuffing around with their (new) APIs.

cheers,

--
Simon Edwards             | KDE-NL, Guidance tools, Guarddog Firewall
simon@simonzone.com       | http://www.simonzone.com/software/