List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: Possible 4.3.0 blocker in the Konsole KPart?
From:       Tom Albers <toma () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-08-04 18:39:29

Op Tuesday 04 August 2009 15:19 schreef u:
> On Tuesday 04 of August 2009 11:14:20 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 August 2009, John Tapsell wrote:
> > > We still get lots of flack for the complete mess we made of 4.0 etc.
> >
> > i won't even argue the basis of your statement, but i will say that
> > regardless of what anyone thinks about 4.0 it should not create subsequent
> > paralysis and start us down a path of second-guessing and changing from the
> > accepted release regimen.
> >
> > > A high visibility bug like this will cause us even more grief.
> >
> > it's not high visibility. it's one odd visual artifact in konsole kpart
> > usage when right clicking, and then only when you can see the top of the
> > scroll area. it's not great, but it's hardly high visibility or of the sort
> > that will "cause us even more grief".
> >
> > > A delay of a couple of days, on the other, people will understand.
> >
> > if we delayed for every bug of this magnitude, we'd never release
> [snip]
>
> Indeed, but unfortunately it as well sheds some light on amount of bugs
> actually introduced during development, and from downstream point of view it
> makes all 4.x.0 releases to be treated like development releases.
> Partially it's because KDE developers seem to be overloaded with amount of
> work - especially with multiple branches synchronization - which leads to
> bugfixes sometimes not hitting latest 'soon-to-be-stable' branch (4.3 now) or
> not hitting on time, as developers seem to be devoted to trunk (sometimes even
> when 4.3 in this case is not released).
> It gives a little bit of feel of being half-baked, and really makes in 'distro
> ready' with 3rd or 4th patch release, but I guess it's supposed to be like
> this?
> Fortunately, every next minor release is in general less problematic than
> previous one, so there is some quality-wise improvement.

Yes. This is exactly how KDE works. If you want stable you pick the last one from the \
previous serie. So use 4.2.4 if you want super stable. 4.3.0 will have rough edges \
and will improve every new minor version.

This is nothing new btw, 3.5.0 was received as a lot worse than the 3.4.2(?) and by \
3.5.6 it was the best release we ever did.

Just the way we work...

Toma
--
KDE Developer