List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: kdepimlibs Licensing
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-07 19:02:25

On Friday 07 November 2008, Allen Winter wrote:
> > So the next best idea we have so far is:
> > - put the source into kdepimlibs/gpl.
> > - make sure the doxygen main pages say GPL on them
> > - clearly state in the kdepimlibs/README and kdepimlibs/POLICIES file
> > that there is GPL code in here

All good ideas IMHO.

> Another possibility is to create a new module called kdepimlibs-gpl
> Reading back through the archives, I know that Ingo was a strong advocate of this \
> solution.

And I'm strongly against it.
* All our developers and users who compile from source will have to learn that they \
need yet another module, just for a stupid licensing issue they don't care about.
* All documentation, release/snapshot scripts, build scripts, (and the setup of some \
services I think) etc. will need to be updated for yet another toplevel module.

This is just making everyone's life more complicated for no good purpose, other than \
one that can easily be solved by having proper documentation.