List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: kdesupport changes
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-09-12 22:24:05

On Sunday 07 September 2008, Benoit Jacob wrote:
> I see. Eigen is special in this respect because it's a
> template-library; the biggest risk with the development version of
> eigen is not just runtime bugs, it's that it will break compilation of
> the program using it. We do have extensive unit-tests, but it's
> impossible to cover all corner cases. So far no big glitch has
> happened but we're still scared of having users relying on our
> development tree.

But how will you detect breakage then, if no other code is being compiled
against your development version of eigen? ;-)
You'll get angry users after you release a new version, as opposed to getting
earlier reports from friendly developers, no? :-)

Overall I completely agree with a "use this kdesupport tag [which would be a
collection of tags, pointing to the tag for the last release of individual components]"
to make everyone's life easier. But at the same time, because keeping SC
is a must, I think that anyone who want to compile kdesupport trunk instead,
should still be able to do that. He might detect compilation breakage, but that's
good then, you do want someone to detect it - and you want that to affect
1% of the developers rather than 99%, which is exactly what the tag does.