List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Re: 4.2 Schedule.
From:       Allen Winter <winter () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-07-16 13:12:07

On Monday 16 June 2008 12:12:08 Tom Albers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As we are approaching the final 4.1 release, I think we can think about the \
> schedule for 4.2 a bit and brainstorm about what we like and don't like. To kick \
> off the discussion, let me throw some ideas around.
> Because we became a lot more stable during the 4.1 development, I think we can give \
> it a bit more feature development in the next release. So I would like to suggest \
> to skip the alfa1 completely. Or if you insist, remove one of the beta's and call \
> that alfa. I just don't like the term alfa anymore, as it does not seem to get \
> tested, so I rather keep it with the two beta's.
> Also, I think the two beta's should be closer together, like 2 or 3 weeks, but this \
> requires to reduce the time between tagging and releasing (say tagging on Tuesday, \
> release on Friday), else there is not much time for the users to test the beta.
> So, all in all, that would be something like:
>
> August - early December: free hacking
> ~15 December Release Beta 1
> ~3 January Release Beta 2
> ~17 January Release RC 1
> ~30 January Release Final

I noticed that today's RC1 announcement mentions that 4.2 is expected in January.
So we should probably publish the 4.2 schedule on TechBase soonish.

I think we should keep the same schedule from 4.1,
except time-shifted forward 6months, like so:

Sun 19 Oct: Soft Feature Freeze
Tue 21 Oct: Tag Alpha1
Tue 28 Oct: Release Alpha2
Tue 18 Nov: Message Freeze