On 2008-03-30 10:38, Aaron J. Seigo wrote: > That's true of every single dependency we have in KDE. Hardly anybody bats an > eye when we pull in Yet Another Library, so doing so now is really > hypocritical. Obviously, the difference is that the current KDE dependencies are mostly C/C++ libraries. Many and varied they may be but they are generally not interpreter environments. > > Qt/KDE is pure binary code with minimal interpreter dependencies > > and I, for one, do not want to have to install perl, python, ruby, mono, > > java (yikes! that's 10Mb + 20Mb + 10Mb + 40Mb + 80Mb) and how ever many > > other scripting environemnts just to run a basic desktop system. > > * Dependencies are handled for you when installing from packages, and simply > cause items to be skipped when they are not available. So "more work" is not > at issue. The MB outlined above is download bandwidth, installation is 3 to 4 times that size. Then are we talking about python 2.4 or 2.5 or maybe 3.0, ruby 1.8.5 or 1.8.6, perl 5 or 6, and on and on. Sub $100 hardware and sub 100k modem/mobile links may outnumber 1st world PCs in the coming years and C/C++ code is always going to perform better no matter what hardware baseline is considered. > * We're not talking about all languages: we're specifically discussing Python. Fine, then setup a well defined kdepython area in the main repos and make sure any dependencies for python apps do not leek outside that area. Then, as a packager, I can easily avoid build, distrib and support time for anything to do with python. No problem. Sure, you are specifically discussing python right now but then it'll be ruby, then... --markc _______________________________________________ release-team mailing list release-team@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/release-team