List:       kde-release-team
Subject:    Evaluation of the extragear tarball releases.
From:       Tom Albers <tomalbers () kde ! nl>
Date:       2008-01-12 14:44:36

Hi,

For the rc2 and for the final release we've been creating tarballs of extragear \
applications. I've taken the time to evaluate this based on feedback with different \
packers. I will try to keep it short and to the point.

1)
The tarballs are now pretty much ok, the software to create them is committed in \
playground[1], so everyone can make them, when I'm unavailable. The only point is to \
include the translated documentation in the tarball. It's not done, because there are \
currently no examples to work with.

2)
The applications currently packaged[2] needs work. I discovered the following \
problems:

Ok: kgraphviewer, kphotoalbum(?), kmldonkey, kopete-cryptography, kaider, rsibreak
These applications seem maintained and ok. Although when kaider moves to trunk for \
the 4.1 release, there won't be any updates up to the release of 4.1.

Unmaintained: kcoloredit, kfax, kiconedit, kpovmodeler, ligature
These applications seem unmaintained (please correct me if I'm wrong!), I would like \
to remove them from the keg-release project. I would even like to suggest to Helio to \
contact the maintainers and remove them from extragear. I can do that too if wanted.

Own release schedule: ktorrent
KTorrent has made his own beta release between te rc2 and final keg tarballs we \
created. I think we should disable ktorrent from our release process for now, untill \
they indicate they want to join again.

During the removal of kdeaddons, some parts indicated that they should be part of \
this project, I just can not recall which one that was. It could be konq-plugins, but \
does anyone now the state of those?

3)
One of the bigger issues is the versioning. Because they are released with the kde \
release the internal version number of the application should be bumped as well. I \
would like to suggest to use the same numbering as the kde release they are part of. \
I've to discuss with some people how to do that, but I can add something like \
'setVersion(4.0.1)' to a cmake file, and try to use that in the kaboutdata and when \
it's not set use the 'old' value.  Any ideas (or help with the execution) would be \
great.

Conclusion from my part is that we should continue this project and improve above \
points. Any comments about all the above is welcome.

I will proceed with above in +/- two weeks if there are no objections.

Best,

Toma

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/utils/createtarball/
[2] http://techbase.kde.org/index.php?title=Projects/extragearReleases