List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Sun's Desktop Division making headway
From:       Greg Turpin <gregturp () home ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 3:50:27

On Wednesday 29 August 2001  3:31 pm, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 August 2001 11:08 pm, Richard Bos wrote:
> > A huge article, however during the introduction of the people, something
> > is said why Sun choose gnome.  It does not tell the real details why
> > gnome was chosen though.
> > http://www.linuxpower.org/display.php?id=213
>
> Of course it does not tell the real details, those are never told in
> public.
>
> The most important real reason surely was that they wanted something they
> could control: Sun always tries to *own* important  technology they use,
> e.g. that's the reason why the *bought* Star Division instead of just
> agreeing to cooporate with it: they wanted to have control over StarOffice.
>
> Of course gaining control over KDE is an impossible target - and so they
> choose to take gnome instead, talk with Miguel, make kind of a deal...
> you know the rest of the story.

Yeah.  But, the reason that really stood out was the fact that QT is only
released under the GPL - not the LGPL.
Isn't that bull?  Everyone bitches and moans about QT not being
GPL, and then, when Trolltech does it - it isn't enough!
It's not like Trolltech's licenses are that expensive.  Plus, I figure
that if you are going to release something under your own license
you should have to pay money to use someone else's code.

Oh well.

This is all bad for mainstream acceptance of KDE though.  Other
companies will start going the GNOME route as well.  The only
thing that could turn it around would be Ximian going out of
business (not that I want that to happen - GNOME developers
are cool).

IMHO,

  Greg