List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Pushing BSD support?
From:       Darian Lanx <bio () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-07-22 13:00:33

> There are enough aspiring backseat drivers around that kde-promo does
> not really need or want to take on that role.  It's also the fastest
> way of getting nothing done.  Something about "shut up and show me the
> code" if I remember the saying correctly.  If you want something done
> in KDE, better do it yourself. :-)
>
> -N.
Apparently I am either speaking hindu or someone is not listening to me or
my english is _really_ bad.
Of course it is easier to "make things better" by offering written code
which allreadyprovides the functionailty for an OS you are asking for, but
since the developers eems to be the last to ask for help, there should be
some sort of "movement" towards gathering help.
Many big projects, such as certain GNU or even the Apache project make the
mistake of stopping to ask for help, because they thinkt hey are big
enough, so that people will simply "submit" their help.
Even though the BSD community mightoften be seen as impolite and a tightly
woven group I have not ever been yelled at or not attempted tpo be helped
when I mailed zthe BSD mailing lists and I am sure to some of them my
question must have sounded ratzher stupid, especially since BSD is the most
well documented OS after VMS I have ever come across.

It is not bussiness of KDE-look. KDE-devel or kde@ to go out there and do
the "public relations" between OS and coders of a given OS that is sole
task of the kde-promo and promotion in general.
Why is it so hard, that we starrt asking for help on specific mailing lists
or, to putit shoret, simply poke at their community to see how much they
actually _want_ support?
That can be done through polls and maybe an article on the dot and slashdot
and now freekde.
Furthermore, I do realise what each mailing list is for and before I post
to a mailing list I think.. I honestly do.
I find it said, that many seem to bne caught in a "box" thinking.
Thisis mypersonal opinion, so please, hold yourhorses if you disagree and
do it in private to keep noise off the list.
-d