List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Icon infringement on KDE icons by stardock?
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-07-20 12:41:11

> Did you check under which licence this theme is being distributed? There is
> already a KDE2.0 on stardock and I agree with Hervé that this is rather
> promotion for us than anything else. I've also seen webpages (e.g. some big
> German webhoster IIRC) use KDE icons.
Once more, rules are rules and they should be followed in the interest of the
icons author. This is not a matter of "suing", beating or trashing them and
their work, it is a question of them being polite towards the one who created
the pieace of software/code/art they are using.
If the author or the project those pieces of work are associated with had not
want some sort of feedback, than the icosn/software what so ever would have
not been licensed in the first place, they would have been put into the
public domain.
I am not saying, that KDE should run rampant on all them, but seeling
someones soul and maybe beliefs for the sake of "promotion" is a bit much
asked.
Some authors might not care, some might care a lot and be personally offended
if their work would be used in such a manner, that is, imho, the main reaosn
why some choose to license their work unde ra parituclar license.
-d
--
Nisi Defectum Haud Reficindium