List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Art work
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-06-22 13:25:04

Just to further prolong this agony.  I thought that the drawing was
fantastic, shows incredible skill and talent and is also totally
inappropriate for the magazine.  Andreas and I are both older than we would
like to be and have worked in corporate america and abroad in various
capacities so we have some experience with this.  Andreas has made
excellent points.  I have two artists on staff that are both very skilled
in different ways.  One is trained and worked in marketing and advertising
and is use to having to throw out a variety of ideas and so doesn't take it
personal when something doesn't fly.  The other is a natural talent and I
can tell he bristles whenever we don't use one of his ideas.  It's never
that the work is bad, it's that the idea doesn't work for the
application.  It's a delicate process for me to have them both do work on
the same project so I can get more ideas faster because of the ego involved.

Art is a very personal thing and a lot of ego is tied up in it.  While I
can barely draw a stick figure myself (which is why I'm in awe of this
talent) I do write and perform music, so I understand how personal it is
and to be shot down hurts.  Now if I wrote commercial jingles for a living,
then I would understand that the objective is different and that for every
10 ideas only 1 would be used.

Now I see two fine people jumping ship basically because a single idea was
rejected, not because it wasn't skilled, because it was, but because it
wasn't appropriate.  Please remember that not every idea is gold and will
be accepted with open arms by everyone immediately.  I imagine that with
the level of talent that Aga has, she rarely if ever get's criticized, so
it is probably a bit hard to swallow.

My suggestion would be that Aga rough sketch out a half a dozen ideas and
throw up a poll system, possibly solicit ideas from others.  I'll throw it
out to my artists to see if they have any flash's of insight on it.

Regards,

Shawn Gordon
President
theKompany.com