List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Fwd: Re: [kde-promo] ATTENTION eva... and some others, conecerning the optional cover page
From:       Darian Lanx <content () openprojects ! net>
Date:       2001-06-20 21:10:53

Just forwarding this, since I think Andreas forgot to hit the reply to all
button.
Thank you..

Subject: Re: [kde-promo] ATTENTION eva... and some others, conecerning the
optional cover page
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:53:37 -0400
From: Andreas Pour <pour@mieterra.com>
To: Darian Lanx <content@openprojects.net>

Darian Lanx wrote:

> >Craig, after sleeping a night over and thinking a lot, I actually agree
> > with you. I don't see any connections to kde
>
> The connection to KDE is directly on her tummy and I find it rather hard to
> overlook.
>
> >Actually I don't feel comfortable in this environment and I can imagine,
> >that
> >other women do the same.
>
> So far no other woman has complained to aga nor anyone else.

This being relevant how?  Oh, I guess her opinion does not matter b/c
others haven't said the same?  I don't understand the point.

> Let me set a few facts straight to get this silly discussion out of the
> worl once and for all, because I am getting quite tired of it (has nothing
> to do with you eva).

Why do you denigrate someone's opinion by calling it "silly"?  Eva is
obviously dedicated to the project, and she was asked here opinion
(along with everyone else), so show some respect please.

> NO one ASKED aga to draw a female. NO ONE told her which motive to use and
> NO ONE urged her to draw her picture they way she did.
> She chose to do this, because aga and I believe in beauty and art, we
> simply

I believe in beauty too.  If you made the picture nude she might be even
more beautiful.  Then if you have her masturbating with a Mary figurine
she might be even more artful (at least the direction art is moving in
the US).  So what's the point?

> think that picture is beautiful, no MORE. The web is free and I do NOT need
> to seel the kde magazine to some lusty user, they either come and visit the
> KDE magazine or they do not Out of curiosity I showed this picture to our

The concern is not that perverts will read the Zine, rather that KDE
will get lambasted in the press for having an inappropriate cover.
Please keep in mind KDE, not just the magazine, there is a bigger
picture.

> "secretary department" today where mostly fmeales, but also males sit and
> not ONE of them complained to me, they simpyl found the draft very
> appealing and beautiful.

Judging by how you respond to complaints I am not surprised nobody does
that ;-).

> Nice to look at for some relaxtion.

Really?  I don't see how it's relaxing at all.  Hmmm.

> This cover page is OPTIONAL, the user can skip it, because the graphics
> will be rather large and therefore not suited for slow connections.
> Furthermore this is a COVER and COVER change, with each issue we are aiming
> for a different cover page. Why? Because I and all those who are involved
> with the "art" aspect are trying to bild something a user might come back
> for. Some will come back for the content, accessing it directly, others
> will (hopefully) come back for the cove rpages and THEN access the content,
> or not even access the content and come only for the cover, but STILL they
> will be brought in contact with KDE,

Hmm, above you said you don't want the cover to attract pervs, but now
you seem to be counting on that?  What gives?

> I do not understand what this very tiring discussion about males and female
> and how sexistic either can be has to do with this excellent peace of
> artwork?

Then I am afraid to say you are truly clueless when it comes to
contemporary gender relations.

> Maybe you just all did not realize how selective this all is and that one
> issue cover doe snot mean the second issue cover looks 100% the same.
>
> Personally I am getting very sick of this. KDE might be a community, but
> obviously many people in the community enjoy nit picking about things,
> which they do not need to nit pick about.

This is not a nitpick.  When you have 4 of 5 respondents say they don't
like the image, and you call this nitpicking, why do you even bother
asking an opinion?  You obviously don't care what others think and in
fact react quite angrily when others don't agree with your views.  This
is the quickest way to kill a volunteer project.

> I have honestl ypondered very long whether I should write the above
> sentence, but that is exactly how I feel. I busted my ass for the kde.zine,
> tried to revive it when it was nearly dead, which suceeded thanks to the
> excellent help of zapplotta and now i am confronted again, whith this?

Geez, get a grip, this is not a personal attack against you.  People
were asked their opinion of something and provided it.

> We posted to kde-promo to show, that we ar eopen, to get some sort of
> feedback, but not to start a general discussion about why you should not
> use females on covers anymore.

Nobody said not to use covers with females, and you know that, so why
are you making this strawman argument?

> anyways. I best shut up now.

Yes, please do until you have lost your anger.

Ciao,

Dre