List:       kde-promo
Subject:    RE: [kde-promo] Promotional Represenation of KDE
From:       Jono Bacon <f9808590 () wlv ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2001-06-17 13:11:22

> I live in the UK and I am very pleased with Jono's mail. It is time to act,
> and he is 100% right in what he says. I totally agree with him and I am
> pleased to have him as a KDE representative.

Thankyou for your kind words Anne-Marie. Now is he time to get something
going...and I felt if I can help I will.

> Andreas Pour
> (1) Who picks these representatives?

> One can apply and if no opposition, she/is in charge. If we wait for some
> vote or anything else or endless mails and discussions, nothing will be
> done.

Exactly. We could even have some kind of system where people could be voted in,
but I think this could cause some problems. We obviously need to give a rep a
testing period to ensure they are right for the job...but I dont forsee too
many problems.

> > (2) What are the requirements to be a representative?

> Jono stressed very well his abilities and he is right to think he is
> competent.
> We have to trust each other in Open source projects. If people apply for
> some tasks, then they know they can do it and it's OK. If someone believes
> he can do better, then he proves it.
> Jono already put things together that's why I know he is competent. Because
> he already proved it.

We need to identify a reps strong points like I stated in my previous mail.
Some people are good at business related material and some are good at
education and some are good elsewhere. The essentiasl requirements of a rep
should be:

 - Reliable
 - Confident yet not arrogant
 - Knowledgeable of KDE

For a business consultan for KDE they should be:

 - Knowledable of KDE and business related issues
 - Preferably have some developer experience

Education consultant should have:

 - Knowledge of education based establishments and practices
 - Knowledge of KDE

Training based consultants should have:

 - Training experience benifit
 - Knowledge of KDE

All people involved should be reliable and capable. Only the main rep for the
country would deal with the funding.

> > (3) What is the chain of command?

> The representative is in charge, he then gives other responsabilities to
> other people. He is a coordinator, pleople trust him, he trust people to do
> what they say they want to do.  Trust is the keyword of all my answers.

Exactly...the main rep is in charge of the consultants in his country. He would
deal with issues regarding funding and organising various events and this and
that.

> > (4) How does one maintain consistency in public statements in a
> > loosely-knit group -- i.e., maintain quality control over the enterprise
> > (related to (2) above, I guess)?

> Don't understand that question. For the moment, as I can see it, there is
> nothing done so the quality is inexistant.

We would need a standard in promotional practice. We would need to agree on
certain things we will say and do to promote KDE. We would also need to
sandarise on promitional items and visual image/house style across promotional
items. I am sure Tink could help here in developing a house style that is
developed across all language boundaries. FOr maintaining quality across the
team...it is the rep in the countries responsibility to maintain quality of the
people who he is in charge of. If they dont maintain this quality then they are
dropped of the team.

> > (5) What happens to the current "official representatives" page at
> > http://www.kde.org/contact.html?

> There is nobody for the UK. I agree that Jono should represent KDE and be
> the KDE Representive and KDE Business Consultant for the United Kingdom as
> he said himself.
> If he did not start to organize things, who would have? The Europe
> representant? Strange, I did not see his mails regarding the expos.

This page should contain the new list of representatives for each country.

> > (6) What in particular do you seek funding for?

> Flyers, posters and such.

Exactly. Funding would follow tweo parts - consumable and reusable. COnsumable
funding would incluse disposable items that are given out or consumed. These
include CDRs, flyers etc. We then have reusable items such as computers,
projectors, signage for booths etc.

Consumable funding should be given either as money, or preferably as the items
needed such as the flyers or CDRs.

The reusable items should be items that are purchased and then distributed to
reps  when they need them. So if the League bought KDE:

  3 x laptops
  3 x projectors
  3 x large KDE signs

This would supply the mopst difficult items for a booth organiser to get. We
really want to step away from the poxy little booth at a show to a well
designed and built booth that fully represents KDE. If we have items that the
KDE project owns...we can post the reps these items when they need them at a
show. We could also do with official t-shirts that the KDE team wear at shows
and business cards for the reps.

> > (7) How do you propose funding proposals be screened (e.g., if someone
> > asks for business cards, what do they have to show before someone goes
> > to the trouble and expense of providing them with business cards)?

> If there is no mutual trust then nothing will never be done. I think that if
> the representative send you some billing proof, then that's it! He is very
> capable of putting up a budget and seek your approval, nothing complicated
> in that area, we are not speaking of millions of £!

Exactly again. We need to trust the reps put in a responsible position. If a
rep needs something and they have been proven to be responsible...we need to
trust them. I can imagine that many of the experienced KDE team will be
nominating themselves as reps anyway. I cant see much of an issue here.

     Jono

--
Jono Bacon - [vmlinuz] -- jono@kde.org
Qt/KDE Developer