List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       blackfarm <blackfarm () mountain ! net>
Date:       2001-06-13 19:13:50

On Wednesday 13 June 2001 14:13, Anne-Marie wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> About the educational aspect and the promotion of Linux/KDE in schools:
> several projects exist for the server aspect of Linux but as far as I know,
> very very few schools use linux on the desktop. As I have 4 kids, I think I
> know quite well the educational software for Windows and I can tell you
> that there is nearly nothing useful for Linux: no encyclopedia, no software
> to learn foreign languages, very few eduware for very young children...
> (mea culpa, my small applications are still not ported to KDE2 and thus are
> outdated)
> I wanted to promote KDE educational software via the zine by writing a
> column so that developers and other people will get more interested. As the
> zine is still in creation, this idea is not possible yet.
> A kde mailing-list was launched concerning kde-eduware but it was very
> quiet, people are not motivated yet (or if they are as I am, they are not
> developers).
>
> The idea of a poll at the Dot would be very good. But it has to be linked
> to some other actions. A sort of kde-"template" for eduware for example
> would be nice.
> I am willing to see something change at schools about proprietary software
> and wasted money. But for that to happen, we (kde) have really to promote
> this area.
> And to have a big kde-eduware package would be the goal!

Yes there needs to be a major project. Small amateur stuff won't do. We need
something on the scale of Koffice. An encyclopedia would compliment koffice
very nicely. A commercial venture would be cool too. I'm not sure anyone will
port the encyclopedia to qt just yet though. Anyone have any ideas?

Craig