List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       blackfarm <blackfarm () mountain ! net>
Date:       2001-06-13 1:49:01

On Tuesday 12 June 2001 16:37, Richard Bos wrote:
> On Friday 8 June 2001 23:52, blackfarm wrote:
> > On Friday 08 June 2001 11:29, David Faure wrote:
> > > The primary goal is to attract _companies_ to use KDE as a development
> > > platform, and to distribute KDE with their stuff (have you seen that HP
> > > signed with Ximian to make Ximian Gnome standard all their next
> > > machine/unix/whatever it is ?). That's the kind of things we have to
> > > work on, getting this kind of deal with big companies, otherwise KDE
> > > will go nowhere (compared to its rival).
> > > Yes, I agree, it's not users we should target directly with the PR. But
> > > directing PR at companies is important.
> >
> > Yes your a 100% correct with that one. We should be trying to attract
> > companies to develop for kde. Maybe the league could advertise in the
> > trade papers?
>
> A very nice market segment to develop for are schools.  They have often
> minimal bugets and use older hardware.  Linux could be a perfect solution
> if the right software is there.  A nice side effect is that the kids grow
> with with... kde.  So when those become grown ups and start working they
> will demand kde (nice scenario, long term thinking).

I'd love to see education software but i'm not a developer so i can wish all
day and not get anything done. But if there are any developers reading this
I'd love to see a encyclopedia software. Someone could write the program and
encourage the education establishment to provide and write the content. An
open source encyclopedia  could really bring good pr and users to kde.

Craig