List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       blackfarm <blackfarm () mountain ! net>
Date:       2001-06-09 22:55:29

On Saturday 09 June 2001 09:27, Rob Kaper wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 08, 2001 at 11:39:49PM -0400, blackfarm wrote:
> > The truth is sometimes the same story is on the dot all week long. If
> > we're lucky we might see two stories. So i think everyone knows that
> > there is no shortage of space for application announcements. I think its
> > obvious that theres a sort of hacker elitist prejudice against commercial
> > ventures. This stuberness against commercial software is hurting KDE.
>
> This is basically the Freshmeat/Slashdot argument. Apps.kde.com is for
> application releases. And I bet all apps of The Kompany are announced
> there.
>
> The Dot is for news and KDE promotion, not necessarily KDE application
> promotion. It's not biased against commercial applications per se, it's
> biased against applications not part of KDE. And of course it is!
>
> The Kompany has their own resources and methods for promotion and
> marketing. Perhaps (small, decent) advertisement banners for their products
> would work on The Dot. If The Kompany releases a new KDE product, that
> might be news. But every release? If Opera were to add KDE add-ons, that
> would be news the first time. Every subsequent release would be marketing.
>
> I very much agree that KDE should be a cooperation between community and
> commercial parties, but turning The Dot into a marketing channel instead of
> a news site would not be the way to do so.
>
> Rob

Why is it always the extreme? No ones advocating turning the dot into apps.
But major open and commercial releases should be ran on the dot. The addition
of imap was a big improvement for kde so the story should have ran. Thats my
issue with that matter. I think it would be a good thing to hilite quality
application releases on the dot. After all a desktop is worthless without
good applications right? Hi lighting the better quality application releases
will only attract positive attention. Application announcements on apps don't
run on linux today to they. So we need to attract attention to the good
applications that kde has to offer. Look at all the PR that kde got when the
kgesture story ran on the dot. Thats the kind of thing I'd like to see more
often.

Craig