List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KDE league, promotion material
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-09 15:45:03

thanks to the people who answered some of my questions about KDE League. At
least I now have the feeling, that KDE League is more than a virtual bank
account ;-)

On Friday 08 June 2001 17:29, David Faure wrote:
> The primary goal is to attract _companies_ to use KDE as a development
> platform, and to distribute KDE with their stuff (have you seen that HP
> signed with Ximian to make Ximian Gnome standard all their next
> machine/unix/whatever it is ?). That's the kind of things we have to work
> on, getting this kind of deal with big companies, otherwise KDE will go
> nowhere (compared to its rival).
> Yes, I agree, it's not users we should target directly with the PR. But
> directing PR at companies is important.

I agree with you. But not only the very big companies, but much more the
medium-sized ones. SUN will not go away from gnome neither will HP. But there
are a lot of smaller companies that are looking for alternatives to windows.
At the Linuxtag in Germany there are not only users but also a business
congress (2 days) with a ticket which is quite expensive (450 Euro). These
people will also be at the expo... I think we should have broschures to give
to them. In this broschures we could present also technical details and show
the people that KDE is really up to date in software engineering. This would
be the same content a lot of developers already present in talks. Linuxtag is
here only an example - I only now german expos, so that is my reference ;-)

I am no designer, but all I learned by now is, that if you want to make
professional looking printed material, that you need more than just one
computer as a coder does. And when it comes to printing you have to pay the
printing itself anyway. So - if you want to produce something you need money
in the first place. I think koffice should be used too, but only for examples
to show it's present capabilities, but not for information material to give
away.

Tink - do you still have the material? That sounds very much like a good
start. Maybe now the times are better than 2 years ago...  Actually I got
some business cards as well. They were made for the CeBIT expo in Germany in
March. The design is quite good, but the paper quality and the printing
quality could be better - but better than nothing.

For KDE Women we now got some financial support from nice people for our
stuff, so we are out of the game for now and I am very happy about that.

Greetings,
eva