List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       Richard Bos <allabos () freeler ! nl>
Date:       2001-06-08 20:13:53

On Friday 8 June 2001 17:29, David Faure wrote:

> > KDE is the result of the hard work of hundreds of developers with the
> > help of thousands of users. Most of them had never seen a single cent
> > for her work. And now you are going to spend money to people just to
> > tell other poeple they should use KDE? What kind of result could we
> > expect? One, two or even more percent "market penetration"? Maybe.
> > More feedback and developers? From poeple who didn't heard about KDE
> > until now? Who could this be? Are you really interested in a bunch of
> > bug reports like "my internet is not working with KDE"? Where's the
> > gain for the KDE project?
>
> The primary goal is to attract _companies_ to use KDE as a development
> platform, and to distribute KDE with their stuff (have you seen that HP
> signed with Ximian to make Ximian Gnome standard all their next
> machine/unix/whatever it is ?). That's the kind of things we have to work
> on, getting this kind of deal with big companies, otherwise KDE will go
> nowhere (compared to its rival).
> Yes, I agree, it's not users we should target directly with the PR. But
> directing PR at companies is important.

I fully agree with David here, it's not only HP that uses gnome, but SUN \
and  Dell are providing gnome as default as well!  It would be nice e.g. if \
IBM or  compaq would announce that they will release their products with \
kde as  default desktop environment.

There are also many companies that deliver products based on sun and hp
products.  The primary goal of these products is to run 1 particular app, \
and  this application must be very reliable e.g. in telecommunication.  So \
it is  not a real desktop (office) machine.  These machines are now running \
cde and  this will be gnome in the future as sun and hp announced.  How to \
change  this?  These machines are daily in use 24 hours a day in a highly
professional environment, does that mean that gnome will get a better image \
 out of that?

The companies that deliver the above mentioned products should be informed
and informed and informed again that kde runs very well on sun, hp, etc
systems and that is is charm to develop applications with kde!

--
Richard Bos
For those who have no (/)home the journey is endless