List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Speaking of the KDE league...
From:       Navindra Umanee <navindra () cs ! mcgill ! ca>
Date:       2001-06-08 13:39:00

Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY@OBERTHURCS.com> wrote:
> > Right now I am in the organisation team for the KDE booth for
> > the Linuxtag in
> > Germany, which is probably the biggest event for KDE, since
> > KDE is _very_
> > popular in Germany.
>
> But if kde is already very popular, why spend money to promote it ?

I think we should be very careful about a false sense of the actual
market penetration of KDE in Germany.  I think their efforts to
improve the situation is very worthwhile, as they are trying to polish
the image of KDE and introduce it to new markets.  Increasing the
popularity in Germany, can increase the popularity of KDE in Europe
and other countries (eg, LinuxTag).  Increased popularity also means
more developers whether German, European or American.  More developers
potentially means a better KDE for everyone everywhere.

That the people are there and are willing to do the promotion is
something that should be cherished and encouraged.  They are
pioneering this task, and once they blaze the trail, the task of
others in other countries will be simplified.

And above all, don't forget the great equaliser that is the internet.
If KDE makes a huge splash at LinuxTag, you can be almost sure to here
it all over the internet, maybe even ZDNet.

> Wouldn't it be better to spend money where kde isn't yet popular ? I am
> thinking about publications for developers that are not specifically linux
> oriented. Touching the windows and mac world. Or in the US where it seems
> that Gnome is far more popular.

Maybe it would be better, and I am not at all convinced that it is,
but who is doing this?  The money should preferably go to people who
are doing and are willing to do the work, not to some fictional people
doing some fictional task.

-N.