List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] RE: kde howto, kde ports
From:       Philippe FREMY <P.FREMY () OBERTHURCS ! com>
Date:       2001-05-29 9:34:45

> On Monday 28 May 2001 06:21, Philippe FREMY wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two ideas in this mail:
> > - website section for kde ports
> > - website section for kde howto
>
> Hello Philippe.
>
> Thanks a lot for your interesting input.
>
> MHO is that a website section for KDE ports is somehow out of
> order, since
> KDE is meant to be portable to many Unices (thus the download
> page speaks for
> us) and the other ports are still in quite a prealpha stage
> (at most). As
> about the Qt ports, I believe it's up to Trolltech to
> advertize about them.
> Qt is not part of the KDE code in a direct manner.

I don't see Trolltech advertising about a windows port of Qt. If they were
to do that, they could simply release the GPLed version for windows.

kde 1.1.2 is in alpha stage. Advertising on this and konqui embedded is good
because it proves that the kde is well written. It makes the project known
for its technical qualities.

But you are somehow right. I will go for a single page giving references to
other projects, that should be enough.

> When it comes to howto's, we already have such a section at
> http://developer.kde.org. It is a good idea to keep things as
> concentrated as
> possible, so better not create a new howto page.

I see it differently. My howto are for users, not developers. Users don't
really care about "howto find memory leaks" or "what to check when
developing a kde application". But they might care about anti-aliasing,
themes, win2k effects and gesture control, ...". It is a completely
different thing.

I should rename it for something like "Enhance your kde".

Anyway, I will propose the drafts and then you'll judge if it deserves a
website section.

	best regards,

	Philippe