List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Re: Companies backing khtml?
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-24 12:21:04

On Mit, 23 Mai 2001, Rob Kaper wrote:

> Are there any companies actively backing khtml (not just KDE) so I can have
> some counterweight against that excellent argument? (in case "it renders as
> well as Gecko, I know it better and  DCOP rules" are not sufficient ;-) )

I know of two other companies using khtml for their products,
which are web browsers for the embedded environment. There might be more,
I'm not that well informed usually ;-)

The main advantages of khtml are probably:

a) its LGPL rather than GPL.
b) AFAIK Mozilla is still only Netscape extensions-compatible. khtml
instead supports quite a few IE extensions as well, and if necessary,
we'll probably add more. We're of course fully HTML4/CSS compliant (with a
few exceptions for broken webpages though) and therefore its unlikely that
our rendering engine is feature-wise much worse than Gecko.
To make it simple: We support both "worlds" at the same time.

Dirk