List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] kde love
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-04-05 11:18:01

Hi,

> Any ideas on some of the best features of GNOME, Windows XP, MacOS X
> that can be ported to KDE?  Ideas for recruiting KDE developers to do
> this?  How can we organize this and make it happen?

Some time ago Karl-Heinz Zimmer started a project that is called "BugCops".
Unfortunately he doesn't have the time to promote it further at the moment,
but there are some great ideas. First efforts you can find on
http://www.bugcops.org , with the new logo made by tackat :-)

The idea of BugCops is, that many people do some bugfixing in their spare
time. Some of them are employed as developers or study or do something else
during the day. These people are not very organized at the moment and the
there could be done a lot more work by them, if there is the right
organization and information flow.
These people can be "bugcop" of a certain project and fix bugs (or implement
little features?) for one or more projects. The task of www.bugcops.org is to
organize this by providing something like a trouble ticket system (or the kde
bug list). BugCops can adopt a bug and fix it. So additionaly to the trouble
ticket system there must be he "who fixes what"- and a status-list.
And other bugcops know then, that there is someone dealing with this bug and
can look out for another bug to fix. This way the work is not done several
times, as it happens now sometimes.
Additionaly there could be a wishlist for features and people implementing
them.

At the moment the problem of the bugcops project is KarlHeinz's lack of time,
but maybe some people like to support him. I think it is a great idea, and I
know some people who would register as bug cops at once ;-)

eva