List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] KDE translations for Windows Users
From:       Tedi Heriyanto <tedi () trustix ! com>
Date:       2001-02-23 7:00:05

ever404@lokmail.net on [Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 12:24:48AM -0500], wrote :
> I read an article on Slashdot around Christmas 2000, stating of a need for more \
> simplified help for users new to Linux & KDE. This gave me an idea for what I call \
> the KDE Windows Translations. This would be a resource, web based, I assume, that \
> would allow former Microsoft users to click on a Windows program, say Windows \
> Exlporer, and would then whisk them to a web page that would tell them about \
> Kruiser, for instance. Or for the new KDE user who might ask "Find File was on my \
> windows start menu. Where is it located in KDE?" Answers to such questions are \
> obvious to us, but not the the newbie. I know, since I was there only one year ago. \
> I have 33 web pages started, which would relay just such information, but have put \
> this project on the backburner, due to the following questions that I have: 1. Is \
> there a need for something like this?
Well, I guess there always a need for something like this. :)

This would be a great help for Windows user who wants to migrate to Linux.

> 2. Is this too simple?
It depends on what are you trying to do ?

> 4. Where do I go for peer review? I would rather have this information verified for \
> accuracy before I posted or published it. I do not want to confuse newbies further.
You can consult with Windows user and KDE users/

> 5. Much of the information that I have written thus far is Mandrake specific. How \
> could such information be made global?
May be if the information reviewed by many people with different distro, then we will \
have a general one.

I am using the Red Hat 6.2 system.

> 6. Would anyone be willing to help? Although I have been Microsoft-free for one \
> year now, I do not feel that I am qualified to do this by myself and maintain 100& \
> accuracy.
Count me in. :)
but I will do it in my spare time, so my help may be very little.

--
Tedi Heriyanto
email : tedi-h at usa dot net (personal)    http://www.trustix.co.id/~tedi

email me to get my GNUPG public key.