List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Suggestions for dot.kde.org
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2001-02-14 13:12:56

Philippe Fremy wrote:

> > But as this list is principally about how non-developers can get involved
> > in supporting KDE, I would like to suggest that a non-developer can do
> > this too. This person needs to subscribe to and monitor some mailing
> > lists (kde-devel, kde-core-devel, kde-cvs and koffice-devel) and
>
> I am subscribed to kde-devel and kde-core-devel and my feeling is that
> these lists serve mainly to discuss problems and bugs and to find
> solutions. But there is little development  news going there. The fact is
> that Kde 2 is now established and there are few new developments.

Hi,

The number of new things is currently limited b/c there is a freeze before the
release of KDE 2.1 in two weeks.  So yes, this would be a relatively low mark.
However, once 2.1 is released the developers will relish in their new freedom
to add features and things will improve.  As I suppose it will take whoever is
volunteering for this job a while to get set up, now's a good time to start
looking :-).

Even in this relatively "dry" period I would have no problem picking 2-5 mails
on those lists a day that would be worth mentioning in a weekly summary. Even
if you average only 3 a day that's a list of 21 things; the weekly summary
shouldn't be very large, just an idea of what's going on.

Another point worth making is that actually a lot of the action happens on
kde-cvs (well, a lot happens on #kde as well but that's harder to monitor); for
example already for today there are over 80 commits.  A good deal of cvs
commits are just commits, but discussions go on there as well.  One way to
avoid subscribing to this list is to let developers know that you are doing the
summary and asking them to cc: you on anything they do which is interesting.

A final point to make:  if you do this you get to see your name in big bold
letters on LinuxToday every week :-).

Ciao,

Andreas Pour

http://www.kde.com/ :  Everything KDE