List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: KDE at Augsburger Linux-Infotag (DE)
From:       Ulf =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Bartholom=E4us?= <ulfbart () gmx ! net>
Date:       2024-02-13 19:21:45

Hello Paul,

Am Dienstag, 13. Februar 2024, 19:11:54 CET schrieb Paul Brown:
> If I understand you right then, the student will be engineering students?
> Maybe Software engineering students?

If you look at the event description
https://www.luga.de/static/LIT-2024/
   Location: Technische Hochschule Augsburg, Fakultät für Informatik
Means IT students 😉

> So would one of your goals be to encourage them to adopt KDE for projects
> and for their future jobs? What about encouraging them to contribute to
> KDE? You could also mention SoK and GSoC:
>
> https://mentorship.kde.org/
>
> (That website isn't finished, by the way, but it does contain all the
> information they may need).

OK, if there are interested visitors, sure.

> I doubt you will meet distro packagers at this meeting, so this may not be
> relevant to your goals. Users have very little influence over what distros
> default to, unfortunately.

That was not my intention. The idea was, to promote persons to have a look on
KDE based Distors or Variants as well.

> Okay. That is different. This goal sounds "Get more users to adopt KDE
> software (Plasma and Apps) and/or KDE technologies". This sounds really
> good!
>
> It will help to get specific about what you can recommend. I talk about this
> later in this message.

I think, we know the benefits. So Michael and me work since several years with
Linux and KDE 😉 - have a short look at the shared Links at our contacts.

> > > - A set of laminated "slides" with descriptions and QRs pointing to
> > > important sites (for apps, Plasma, donations, outreach, etc.) -- see
> > > attachment
> >
> > Optional, don't know if we really use it, depending on the table size.
> [...]
> If you want people to walk away with information and not forget about you
> the moment they leave the building, you need these. Also, we already have a
> stack made, so we can sned them to you.

OK, fine. No Problem. We will present them for sure, if you share them with
us.

> That said, you may have your own ideas as to what to put on the cards. If
> you are trying to attract potential developers (for example, from among CS
> Students), maybe we should make a slide that links to the "for developers"
> page:
>
> https://kde.org/for/developers/
>
> It is is for students in general, we have a page for them too:
>
> https://kde.org/for/students/
>
> We can include these intot he slide show for you. We could also  print and
> laminate them for you if you want.

I think, this will be a very good idea 😎

> > > - A drawing tablet for Krita demos
> [...]
> When it is ready, create a new document in Krita and leave it facing the
> publi. People will stop and draw stuff as they walk by. You don't have to do
> anything else. The attendees will figure it out.

OK, if you provide it to us, we will connect it and show it.
It will be good, to have it some days/week earlier, to be able to test them a
little bit.

> [...]
> > > ## Stickers
> >
> > In the last years, there was about 400-500 visitors. I would expect about
> > 50
> Sorry... Do you mean 500?

Nope, I think there won't be each one need a sticker.
According my experience (about 10 years doing Linux events).

> We have three designs - see attachments. Would you like 200, 200 and 200?

I would expect, 50 of each will be quite a lot.
But, if we don't need them all, we send it back with the other material.
So provide us so much, like you think it make sense.

> When we have collected all the items, we will send them to you.

OK, fine. But let please give us a short info about the delivery before you
send it out. Especially the rough size will be helpful, that we can give you
the best address (either to Michael or me)

> >  Ulf Bartholomäus
> >  https://lug-vs.org//lugvswiki/index.php/Benutzer:Ulf
> >
> >  Michael Singer
> >  https://bluelupo.info/uebermich/

Please have a short look at this pages, to have a short Idea about our
experience with Linux and KDE 😉

> > > #### Optional but very good to have
> > >
> > > - A Steam Deck (or some other Plasma-powered game console)
> > > - A (Pine?)phone with Plasma Mobile installed
> >
> > We don't own this 😭
>
> Ah! That's okay. They are great conversation starters. We are still building
> our "events kit". Hopefully we will be able to get some of these devices
> included at some point.

OK, let me think about. Another option is to show another Smartphone running
Linux+KDE.

> > > - Other electronics with KDE software embedded (Raspberry Pis, Risc V
> > > SBCs,
> > > etc.)
> >
> > I have a Raspberry Pi 400, with openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE (which should be
> > beginning next Month run with Plasma6 as well.
>
> Nice! Can you take it too?

Yes, sure. That is the only reason to have it. That I'm able to show it on
Linux events 😎

Cheers

Ulf