List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Future of the dot
From:       Carl Schwan <carl () carlschwan ! eu>
Date:       2020-04-02 12:04:01

[Attachment #2 (multipart/mixed)]

Hello everyone,

the current dot.kde.org website is still using the old web design and an o=
ld version of the Drupal CMS. I have been working on an updated version of=
 the dot using Hugo instead.

The updated dot as the following advantage, it uses the current theme used=
 in other websites, it is faster to load, is more secure and need less mai=
ntenance.

A current demo is available here: https://irl.carlschwan.eu/.

This will require some change in our editing workflow for a new article si=
nce the content is now stored in git and Gitlab. There is two different wa=
y how we could draft article without making then public on the web.

* Using the GitLab workflow for stuff that are not sensitive. This means t=
o create a new issue for each new dot article, click on the "create merge =
request" button and then open the web IDE to get a powerful text editor an=
d merging when we want to publish. This won't make the text draft invisibl=
e to all since people can still see all the open merge requests if they wa=
nt. But for stuff that we discuss in the Promo channel and are technically=
 visible for all, this won't change anything.

* For stuff that really needs to be invisible until the announcement (e.g.=
 big donations, collaboration announcements), the best way would be to cre=
ate a shared document on share.kde.org and share it with the people who sh=
ould see it only and then copy it in Gitlab when this should be visible.

This is a bit more complex but allows for some interesting improvement in =
our workflow. For example, we get issue tracking for each article we want =
to post with time tracking. This allows also people who are not dot editor=
 to submit an article for review. And we get the powerful code review feat=
ures from GitLab for the articles (adding comments and suggesting changes)=
. The editing will also be done in markdown, this should be easier than ed=
iting HTML like in the current interface (HTML is also supported).

For those, we dot editor access, please log at least one time in invent.kd=
e.org with your identity credential, so that an invent account is created =
and that sysadmin can grant you access to the repository.

Cheers,
Carl
["publickey - carl@carlschwan.eu - 0x7F564CB5.asc" (application/pgp-keys)]