List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Yet unannounced Plasma TV UI project
From:       Aditya Mehra <aix.m () outlook ! com>
Date:       2020-03-18 11:23:51

[Attachment #2 (text/plain)]

On 18/03/20 3:40 pm, Paul Brown wrote:
> On miƩrcoles, 18 de marzo de 2020 10:17:53 (CET) Marco Martin wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> we are nearing the release of the first beta, ideally next week-ish.
>> things are looking much better.
>> we'll have a screencast, but we are going to need a good dot article as
>> well.
> Apart from running it and see what it does, what other information can you
> provide us with?
I have written up a introduction and am attaching it here, the write up
is pretty rough but should give an idea.
>> by the way how many of you here could give it a try?
>> (images are still at https://files.xenon.pangea.pub/.mycroft/ every
>> day new and updated ones appear)
> This runs on a Raspberry Pi 4, yes? What about the TV? Does is need to be
> anything special, or does a regular monitor work?
>
> Cheers
>
> Paul

Upcoming beta release will be for the Raspberry Pi 4, its targeted at
running on a TV screen, but will also work fine on a regular monitor.

The user interface is largely designed to be easy to use with a Remote
control, there is experimental support for HDMI-CEC in the beta image,
so anyone with a TV that supports HDMI-CEC can choose to use their TV
remotes, As one of the key features of Plasma Bigscreen is mycroft voice
controlled applications/skills its recommended to use a USB/Bluetooth
remote which support a inbuilt microphone, some of those recommended
generic usb remotes are the "WeChip G20 / W2 Remote Controls".

It can also be used with a keyboard / mouse and any attachable
microphone, its largely left to the users choice.

Regards,

Aditya

>> --
>> Marco Martin

>>> Perfect. But we can always dub the sound over it, if you want. Maybe get a
>>> female voice...

>>> Sure. Again, we can dub it.
>>>
>>> By the way... What software did you use to make the video?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>>
>>> Paul

["Plasma-Bigscreen-Writeup" (text/plain)]

Plasma Bigscreen - The Plasma Experience For Big TV Screens.

Plasma Bigscreen is the free open-source user interface experience for those big TV \
Screens, It's the embedded version of Plasma called Plasma Nano powering the UI on a \
Single Board Computer with Mycroft AI voice assistance providing a Smart TV platform \
delivering not only media-rich applications but also your traditional desktop \
applications redesigned to fit the Bigscreen experience all developed under an open \
process.

Some of the ideas behind this project:

Freedom: One of the most important goals of this project is powering the community to \
build on freedom in the true sense without the limits of the traditional desktop. \
Plasma Bigscreen is completely Free and Open Source, It gives anyone the freedom to \
use, acquire, change and redistribute the software to how they see the best fit for \
it, It also gives people the freedom to create, innovate and improve on top of the \
existing platform and share their work with the world.

Innovation: It's the "Big Idea" the idea of transforming the traditional plasma \
workspace experience into something that could be controlled simply by remote \
control. Plasma Bigscreen is built on top of Plasma Nano an embed shell package built \
for embedded devices.

Privacy & Voice Control: The experience when sitting 10 feet away from your TV just \
isn't complete without having the ease of access to control it and that's exactly the \
space in which Mycroft AI the open-source voice assistant experience fits right in \
while respecting your privacy. Mycroft AI's Graphical Framework for skills is built \
on top of Qt and Kirigami allowing anyone with little Python and QML experience to \
develop enriching GUI powered voice skills for the platform.