List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Helping to clarify Promo scope & reponsibilities
From:       Roman Gilg <subdiff () gmail ! com>
Date:       2019-10-23 10:40:00

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:06 PM Eike Hein <hein@kde.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> It's become clear that from time to time, uncertainty about the exact res=
ponsibilities and work scope of the Promo community rears its head, leading=
 to tension. An example is the communication around QtWS'19 earlier this we=
ek.

> Within KDE e.V., we've recently tried out a process to solve very similar=
 problems around the e.V.'s working groups, which are similar to Promo in t=
hat they form domain teams that work within a larger community. The e.V. Bo=
ard is meeting with each working group to discuss questions around what the=
 working group is responsible for, what it isn't responsible for, reporting=
 formats and a few other things. We've done this with several of the workin=
g groups now and the first results are very promising and leading to much i=
mproved clarity (they'll eventually be worked into the e.V. website).

> We would like to help by applying the same process to KDE Promo and then =
informing everybody about the results. This is not entirely pro-active from=
 our side, as Promo, in particular Paul, have already asked us to do this.

> We'll be getting in touch with Promo soon about the details and coordinat=
ing a meeting/call time.

> Cheers,
> Eike
> -
> KDE e.V. vice president, treasurer
> Plasma, apps hacker

Hi Eike,

thanks for taking action. I support this clarification effort.

It would be good to clarify in particular the responsibilities and
authority of our paid contractors in relation to other community
members of the Promo group.

Are they "coordinators" in the sense that we can count on them
managing Promo resources and processes and facilitating contact
between Promo group members and other community members?

Do they have rights different from other Promo community members in
relation to our marketing resources? As far as I know yes, when
thinking about online logins to Twitter and so on. Is there then a
process defined to allow other members to acquire these rights such
that they can help with this ground work and enable contractors again
to do the coordination part (assuming that this is their
responsibility to begin with).

The Promo group behaves a bit different from other groups. Clarifying
the scope & responsibility needs to look at both, paid contractors and
the Promo community members while other groups normally only have
community members.

Cheers,
Roman