List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: Fwd: KDE Applications on Wikidata
From:       Lydia Pintscher <lydia () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-04-15 12:12:51

On Mon, Apr 15, 2019 at 9:07 AM Paul Brown <paul.brown@kde.org> wrote:
> Hello John,
>
> I think it would be a good idea to include a new column that says
> "Description" that tells the reader what the application is or does, something
> like :
>
> Name    Description             Category
> Blinken Simon-like game Game
> KCalc   Calculator              Desktop utility
>
> I also think it would be a good idea to tweak the contents of the the category
> column. Maybe brainstorm some classes, like "Office application", "Game",
> "Desktop utility", "Admin utility", "Development tool", etc.?
>
> I think those two minor changes would help users get a good idea of what they
> can find KDE's applications and help them decide what to install.

Hey :)

Some background information: Wikidata is a repository of structured
information that gets fed into Wikipedia and many other places on the
internet including Google search and Siri. The page Samuel created is
an internal maintenance/overview page not for consumption by the
general public but for the KDE and Wikidata communities to get an easy
overview of what data is there, which needs expanding/correcting and
what's missing.
Hope that helps. We do want KDE's apps to be well-described in Wikidata.

Cheers
Lydia, with half her KDE and half her Wikidata product manager hat on

KDE e.V. Board of Directors
http://kde.org - http://open-advice.org