List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Donation page simplification
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-03-02 7:24:55

I find this email very dispiriting.

On Fri, Feb 6, 2015 at 4:53 PM, Gérard Talbot <browserbugs2@gtalbot.org> wrote:
> Le 2015-02-06 14:24, Albert Astals Cid a écrit :
> >
> > Hi there, one of the issues we had with the donation page is that it is
> > very
> > complex, Aleix and me have worked in a new version that is much simpler by
> > rewording some text and moving the more corner-case ways to donate to a
> > different page.
> >
> > http://kde.org/community/donations/index2.php
> >
> > This is still not linked from the main page because
> > * We want your input
> > * We need to make the radio button to choose between one time and
> > recurring
> > less ugly
> >
> > Opinions?
>

> Albert,
>
> Why the "Donations" page
> https://www.kde.org/community/donations/index2.php
> is not titled/named "Donate through Paypal"?
>
> I do not understand why the page should be split into a "Donations" page on
> one hand and an "Other ways to donate" webpage on the other hand. Why not a
> single page for all 3 ways to donate?
>
> -------
>
> When I click a link text saying "Donate", then I do not expect to read or to
> be lectured on why donations are important or what the donations will be
> for, etc.. A "Donate" page in my mind should be just about the mechanics of
> donation.
>
> -------
>
> This page uses a light color (#444) on a light blue background-image with
> less than initial, default font-size (10pt) and with absolute units.
> Justified text is universally known to be less legible than left-aligned
> text. The white text-shadow is useless and pointless and does not improve
> legibility.
>
> To me, these poor styling issues should first be dealt with on the whole
> kde.org website. Choosing a CMS for the whole site is one thing. Creating
> (or choosing) one that promotes readability, legibility, accessibility at
> all times is another.
>

> > Also if some deisgn/web guru can help us with making the radio buttons be
> > nicer (our idea is to make them more like buttons) it'd be great.
>

> The radio button should look like a normal, standard, default radio button
> in browsers. If you style a form control like a radio button, then it may
> not look like a radio button to users who use different browsers. Form
> controls should look familiar to users who use and trust the same/preferred
> browser; form controls can (and often do because of themes and skins) look
> different in different browsers.
>
> Gérard

What is discouraging to me is that there are some good suggestions
mixed up with insults and a degrading tone.

Albert and Aleix have worked hard, and then asked for opinions and help.

To reframe the above email into useful criticism and help, I would say:

A single page for all 3 ways to donate would be simpler. Label the
section about paypal How to Donate via Paypal.

Please consider using relative rather than absolute units, and
left-aligned rather than justified text. Please leave out the light
shadows.

Please stick with radio buttons as styling will render the buttons
differently in different browsers, perhaps confusing our potential
contributors.

Criticism is good, if the intention is good. However, using words such
as "useless" and "pointless" only serve to discourage the people doing
the work. It is disappointing to see that here on the Promo list.

Valorie