List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] kde-promo uncomfortable facts
From:       Aleix Pol <aleixpol () kde ! org>
Date:       2015-02-01 9:49:20

On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 4:44 PM, Carl Symons <carlsymons@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are 326 subscribers on this mailing list, which has the following
> purpose:
>
> "KDE-promo is an open forum for those wishing to get involved in promoting
> KDE. Anything is open for discussion and feedback, from advocating the use
> of KDE in the classroom to writing KDE development articles." (from
> https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-promo)
>
> Some of the subscriber names are recognizable as developers and other KDE
> technical contributors. Even so, there are many list subscribers who are not
> technical contributors and who, presumably, could take on non-technical
> tasks.
>
> Recently, requests were made for assistance with important tasks that
> wouldn't take much time nor much technical know-how. No takers. None.
>
> This is puzzling. Many hours are invested in developing KDE software. Our
> technology is second to none--commercial or free & open source. The
> technical teams have recently had two major accomplishments--KDE Frameworks
> 5 and Plasma - The Sequel. The publicity (including Slashdot, amazingly) is
> positive, even laudatory.
>
> Why is there no participation from people on this list who wish to be
> involved in promoting KDE?
>
> Serious question.

Hi Carl,
Thanks for bringing this up!

I'm also interested in this question. KDE is definitely failing there
and we are still in time to get this fixed.
I'm afraid the fact that everyone here is answering at a very personal
level is also quite representative of the issue where we still haven't
managed to come up with a team and work together. In fact, it's not
promo itself that needs attention, but the wider range of KDE
communication could use some attention.

Now I'd suggest you to think about how did you end up contributing to
KDE Promo, more than why you aren't anymore. Nobody can dedicate all
his free time to KDE, that's fine, we just need that when a door
closes, another one opens.

From my side, I would love to reach out to KDE Promo so if there's
anything you need from the developer-side, I'll be happy to help
connect the missing bits.

Last but not least, if there's anybody reading this from the VDG,
please spread the word. Visuals are very needed in promotion and I'm
sure very interesting work can come up if we all get to work together.

Cheers!
Aleix