List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] News on www.kde.org
From:       Ingo Malchow <imalchow () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-10-22 15:25:22

Am Mittwoch, 22. Oktober 2014, 16:49:26 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> www.kde.org does have a dot news feed.  It also has a larger section for
> latest release announcements for the newest version of "KDE" which these
> days means KF5, Plasma and shortly KDE Applications.  This may well be
> unnecessary but there should be an easy way to find out the latest version
> of these.

That was the reason why i initially raised that question. www.ko has a dot
feed integrated, same for the dot itself, naturally. Announcements are done on
both, dot and www.ko. But www.ko announcements are not served via a feed. The
text is basically the same on both sources.So finding out which one is the
latest version is not the question, as they are the same anyway.

So, is it really necessary to have announcements on both sources?
As Valorie has said, we can easily set up a feed fetcher on www.ko to fetch
the dot feed and display it on the mainsite, if it is needed. But as it is
now, it seems to me like some unnecessary steps too much.

Note: this is no complaint, this is only a curious question if some people
simply invest too much work into something that _maybe_ can be done unified on
a single platform ;)

> Jonathan
>

> On 22 October 2014 11:14, Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman@gmail.com>
>
> wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > We've been talking in #kde-www about ways to improve the mainsite, and
> > one question that came up tonight reminded me of the same issue being
> > raised at the Akademy documentation workshop - why do we have news on
> > both the mainsite AND on the Dot?
> >
> > Wouldn't it be easier to grab the stories on the dot (or at least the
> > first short section) and display them dynamically on www.k.o?
> >
> > This question is for both promo and dot-editors, since you might have
> > different ideas about that. Are the mainsite stories for a different
> > audience than the Dot? How do you folks who keep the content supplied
> > see it?
> >
> > Valorie
> > --
> > http://about.me/valoriez