List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Carl <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-05-09 17:00:40

On Friday, May 09, 2014 08:54:29 AM Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2014 21:10:46 Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > Hi kde-promo,
> > =

> > Within the Plasma team, many of us would like to go forward using versi=
on
> > 5
> > for our upcoming release ("Plasma 5"). We'd like to propose it to be ta=
ken
> > forward. (The version "in the code" is already at 5, anyway.)
> =

> For the reasons given by Jos [1] and John [2] in the plasma-devel thread,=
> think Plasma 2 is the better solution (better than the date numbering sys=
tem
> too, though I didn't mind that too much). Plasma 5 will become/continue to
> be KDE 5 - I don't think there's anything much we'll be able to do to
> prevent that.
> =

> Not much else to say, really, except that I'll do my best to work with the
> Plasma 5 branding if that's the decision.
> =

> Cheers,
> Stu
> =

> [1] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2014-May/030880.html
> [2] http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/plasma-devel/2014-May/030900.html
> =

Thank you for the references, Stu.

Trying to distinguish Applications, Development Platform and Desktop based =
on =

some numbering relationships probably won't work. What's needed is somethin=
g =

more definitive and fundamental.

We are addressing a continuum of audiences from endusers to intimately =

involved/highly informed technical people. Based on my interactions mostly =
at =

the enduser level, these are people who will refer simply to "KDE". They do=
n't =

even talk about KDE 4 anymore. And they mostly are referring to the Plasma =

Desktop, not Applications and certainly not libraries. This group barely =

realizes the distinction "Plasma Desktop" and are not likely to get "Plasma =

v2".

Moving towards the technical end of the audience spectrum, the distinctions=
 we =

use make more and more sense. Technical journalists need labels that make =

sense to their various technical audiences. Ultimately, downstream projects =

need to know versioning exactly. These projects make some effort to =

distinguish Plasma from KDE Software (Kubuntu), KDE desktop (openSUSE), or =
KDE =

Plasma Desktop (Fedora) for their audiences, but they do not get much beyon=
d =

that.

Regarding Development Platform and Frameworks...the audience is not clear t=
o =

me, beyond the Qt community. It is certainly not endusers.

So this issue is less about numbering schemas and more about the Big Three =

chunks of what the KDE Community offers. I think that we and those we serve =

would benefit from decoupling the major categories of Plasma Desktop, KDE =

Applications and Frameworks. Then we can deal with versioning within each o=
f =

those categories.

BTW, I agree with Martin Klapetek that people will refer to KDE 5, but we =

don't need to encourage that.

Carl