List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-05-09 14:52:28

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Friday, 2014-05-09, 15:48:24, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 3:32 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas@kde.org> wrote:
> > I've come to think that we have two kinds of groups:
> >
> > - "Old Farts", they reject change, anyway, and they won't be budged to not
> >
> >   call it KDE 5, they will get confusing reactions to that, but won't
> >
> > really
> >
> >   care, except perhaps bitch more about versions
>
> FYI, the biggest Czech server about Linux, abclinuxu.cz, is already talking
> about KDE5[1], it's in the exact same sense as "KDE4" was used back in the
> 4.0 days.
>
> This brings a question - are we going to call Plasma 5 only the shell
> (panel+wallpaper) or the "whole experience", including applications (and a
> bundle of frameworks)?

My expectation is that people will use KDE5 the way it was used to in early
KDE times, i.e. referring to the "Desktop Environment", so whatever we ship in
our workspace product.

If we successfully split out the applications then they will no longer be
referred to as just "KDE".

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring