List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Plasma 5
From:       Sebastian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=FCgler?= <sebas () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-05-09 13:32:37

On Friday, May 09, 2014 08:54:29 Stuart Jarvis wrote:
> On Thursday 08 May 2014 21:10:46 Sebastian K=FCgler wrote:
> > Hi kde-promo,
> >
> > =

> > Within the Plasma team, many of us would like to go forward using versi=
on
> > 5
> > for our upcoming release ("Plasma 5"). We'd like to propose it to be ta=
ken
> > forward. (The version "in the code" is already at 5, anyway.)
> =

> For the reasons given by Jos [1] and John [2] in the plasma-devel thread,=
 I =

> think Plasma 2 is the better solution (better than the date numbering
> system too, though I didn't mind that too much). Plasma 5 will
> become/continue to be KDE 5 - I don't think there's anything much we'll be
> able to do to prevent that.

I've come to think that we have two kinds of groups:

- "Old Farts", they reject change, anyway, and they won't be budged to not =

  call it KDE 5, they will get confusing reactions to that, but won't reall=
y =

  care, except perhaps bitch more about versions

- Relatively new users, to whom the version numbering makes sense, they'll =

  call it Plasma 5, and it will be fine

- People who don't know, don't care: We can be way happy if they remember t=
he =

  name Plasma, and that's really the whole point

At some point, I stopped caring about people calling it KDE 4. I think we c=
an =

make a difference there by deeds, not so much words, and in that regard, th=
e =

version numbering seems logical and successive.

> Not much else to say, really, except that I'll do my best to work with th=
e =

> Plasma 5 branding if that's the decision.

Thanks for that. I know we won't get to have everybody happy, but it seems =

that the majority finds Plasma 5 the best option, or at least can work with =

it.

Cheers,
-- =

sebas