List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] KWallet + KWalletManager + KWallet KCM branding
From:       Teo Mrnjavac <teo () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-23 12:37:04

Hello,

does replacing user visible occurrences of strings like "KDE Wallet", "KDE
Wallet Manager", etc. with "Plasma Wallet", or simply "Wallet", or something
along those lines sound good to you? The change would apply starting with
Plasma Next.

Rationale: as far as I understand our whole KF5-based desktop product is going
to be branded Plasma, but I don't understand the specifics of the branding
very well.

Most of the user visible strings are found in KWalletManager and in the Wallet
KCM. My reasoning is that these components could be perceived as part of the
Plasma desktop by the user, so we might want to brand them as part of the
Plasma desktop. The KWallet library and daemon can be used outside of a Plasma
session too, and in that case it does show some strings when prompting for
user action, but it doesn't necessarily involve running System Settings and
KWalletManager.

We had a brief discussion about this in #kde-promo but there was no strong
decision either for or against. I'm leaning towards Plasma-branded or
unbranded, but I'd appreciate some opinions from the Promo team.

Cheers,
--
Teo Mrnjavac
http://teom.org | teo@kde.org