List:       kde-promo
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] Releases overwhelming us - need for improving the dot?
From:       Stuart Jarvis <jarvis () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-11 10:06:18

On Friday 11 April 2014 21:52:50 Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM, Stuart Jarvis <jarvis@kde.org> wrote:
> > Yep, for stuff like basic image editing, Wordpress (e.g.) is way ahead of
> > the stuff we're using. It's a pain to have to take an image, make two
> > different size versions, upload them separately and then manually insert
> > the correct addresses to them in the src and href attributes - we often
> > put in typos here too. My guess is, there must be a module to make this
> > easier, but I don't know Drupal well.
>
> If anyone knows of such a module i'll be happy to deploy it on the Dot.

From a quick Google, maybe:
- https://drupal.org/project/imageeditor
(I know nothing about it other than reading that page - might be better
options - anyone else have experience?)

> In terms of Wordpress, it is quite painful to maintain - we currently
> want to remove the setup we have which supports a couple of sites
> (none of which are high traffic).

Yep, I understand. I wasn't advocating Wordpress for the Dot, just pointing
out the main pain point for me in the Dot's Drupal compared to personal
experience with Wordpress.

The pain point is permissions - it would be nice to have people able to make
their own articles but not publish them. Our solution in the past for people
who it would be good to have that ability is to make them Dot editors, but
that also (of course) enables publishing, which should be quite a small group
for coordination. I'm sure this will be possible, just needs someone to drill
down into the Drupal roles and permissions - possibly it needs more modules,
according to:

- https://drupal.org/node/328236
- http://drupal.stackexchange.com/questions/7862/how-to-disable-publish-content-for-a-particular-role

- http://drupal.stackexchange.com/questions/3468/forbid-the-publication

Not knowing much about Drupal, I find it hard to judge... I/others will either
need to do a fair bit of reading or perhaps other's on the list have some more
knowledge on this?

Cheers,
Stu