List:       kde-promo
Subject:    [kde-promo] Releases overwhelming us - need for improving the dot?
From:       Jos Poortvliet <jospoortvliet () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-11 8:36:30

Hi,

A bunch of people, including Mario and myself and people from the release
team of course are spending quite a bit of time on release work. There's a
whole bunch of beta's and RC's atm, and with the releases splitting up, more
work is coming, not less.

A few people have already shared some ideas about dealing with that -
clustering releases (all development releases together twice a month, all
bugfix releases once a month etc), getting new people involved, making
changes to our infrastructure.

What exactly needs to change I can't tell you but I think all three above
have to be part of the solution if the situation is to become more
sustainable.

So, we need to get together and work on this. That needs not only promo
people but also one or more people able/willing to touch the code of the dot
so we can automate and fix a few things. For one, people can submit articles
- but that system does not work. It would be great if that would indeed
result in something that can reasonably quickly be edited in shape. I think
it would also help to have templates in place so we can more easily and
quickly put together release announcements, especially the 'boring' ones like
development- and bugfix releases.

Mario proposed to get together at Randa for a Dot hackaton. Another option
would be Akademy. I personally can't make it to Randa but I will be at
Akademy.

Please comment on these three questions:
* Do you agree a dot hackaton could help and are you willing to help out?
* Are there 'techies' willing/able to help out on the dot code?
* What option (Randa or Akademy) would work for you?

Cheers,
Jos

PS sorry it took me a while, Mario...